Tachout's Build Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Tachout
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:22 pm

I now have the crossmember complete except for mounting holes. I need to trim the side plates as well. I am sure I will have this part complete by the end of today and will be on to some other work I have on the plate for the weekend. I will need to replace the trans mount, but will do that once the trans if built and ready to install for a final time. Tons of cleanup to do under the hood, and along the firewall. Also need to do a ton of pruning and running new wires, but with the engine under the hood now, I can get busy with this stuff. I have hope on getting the rest of the rear body work complete, get the rear firewall in, and get the rest of the tin work in the back of the car complete. Then work my way forward. Budget is not there to complete the engine and trans right now but would love to work towards finalizing everthing else, get a final parts list (althought that will never end I am sure) and work towards starting to wrap different systems up. Anyway, here are some pictures of how I built the crossmember.

From the scrap pile, I pulled a piece cut from the original frame.

I cut the piece to length and cut the ends at an angle. Welded on a couple of flat plates (Left over from my roll cage kit) and then took another one of those plates and welded it to the flat bottom of the new crossmember. I will cut the height of the flat plates down some. I will then drill a group of holes in them, crawl under, and mark the location on the tunnel, and start the holes. Then go inside the car, drill these holes out. Then I will create a plate that will be put inside with the holes through it. Then I will take the crossmember out, weld the nuts on the plates, and mount the crossmember. Then I will put a level on the engine once the car is on the ground and mount the engine at the angle I want it. Then decide how much I need to change the height of the rear of the trans. Then drill the holes and mount the engine.

One thing I have learned real fast... the holes in the engine for the motor mounts, and transmission to block are all standard thread, and the old motor and trans were Metric.... guess I am going to need to get a lot of hardware new....

Nice to see that I can wrap so much up this year. I will hope with all the work this year, I can lock down the car, and get the trans and engine done as cash is available. Will still need to do fuel, and brakes on this thing, a ton of safety equipment, and all underhood, but as time allows, and parts are available I will wrap up those things as well!

More pictures and work to follow as I can get them done this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Today I went out, trimmed the ears, drilled the mounting holes in the crossmember, and holes in the tunnel. Then I went and mounted the crossmember. Stupid cold and rain... I would have worked on adjusting the back of the car, and then welding the wheelie bars together, and getting them ready to sit in the corner till it heads to the track for the first time. Anyway here are some pictures of the crossmember boltin in place. I have not drilled the mounding holes for the transmission mount just yet... Want to first replace the trans mount, and get everything squared up.

Now that it is set up, I can start to finish up the rear body work, and the tins. Hoping for good weather during the week, and this coming weekend. Would love to have the wheel tubs put in, and the rest of the interior tin complete, along with the rough body work in the back completed by end of June. Then for July Finish up the underside, and start to put all the interior back in, once I run a full new harness. A rewire with new wires, and correct guage is very important, and replacing everything that came in there stock will be easier to do from scratch, and much cheaper, expecially since I can then save the factory harnesses and resell them to someone that has another C4. I have been asked a couple of times..."Why not just buy a crossmember?" or "Why not just use the one that was already in there?" Well here is the simple answer... This car never had a Transmission Crossmember. It had a C-Beam that connected the trans to the rear diff.... Since I have a Ford 9" in the back, that floats, and I have a TH400 inplace of the 700R4 it all has to be scratch made. No aftermarket parts would work for this. It is amazing how many parts I have to fabricate to work for this car, and how much the aftermarket supports the Camaro and Mustang.... Guess there are not enough people modding these cars yet.

Anyway here are a couple of shots I took with it just in the garage entrance. Thought on Memorial Day I would take a couple shots to enjoy for the next couple of weeks!

Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:23 pm

As some of you know, I bought a Rotissorie from Sam. Below are a couple of pictures of it. I will need to rebuild the heads on it so they will bolt up to my Corvette rather than the mounting points that Sam had on his Camaro. Below are pictures of it as I got it. I am going to design a new set of heads for it that fit mine, and while I am at it, I will also do the rest of the Rotissorie in CAD. Once I have it all drawn up, and I have my heads designed for it, I will be more than willing to share my drawings. Beyond that, once I am done with what I need to do, I will be more than happy to loan it out. I will even help design a set of heads that will work for your project, and help you build them if you need.

Very nice preliminary design Sam. I am guessing it will not take much to design this so it fits my Coupe. I will be putting wheels on it so once the car is up there, I will make it so it can be moved around. Goal is so the wheels can raise and lower, and that will not be too tough to design into it... I know how it is done. As for the heads, I just need to pull off the front bumper cover, and unbolt the front bumper, and will make a plate to bolt on each mounting point right where the bumper was originally mounted, and then in the rear, there is just a pair of open frame rails, and when I know where they locate, with the same style place, the it is a matter of knowing my centerline of the car, and knowing where the mounting points are in relation to the centerline. I do plan on making mine a little adjustable if needed but not much room to play. Have to be really close. Once I go to build it per my plans, I will make sure to actually build it as I mount to the car, and reverse engineer that end of the numbers to make sure everything is where it needs to be.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:23 pm

I have to pull the engine and trans out to take and build them, as right now they are still basically a core. Once they are out, and the hood and targa top are off, then I will not have much weight there. If I could flip it over, it will make it easier to me to do the glass work, body work, and put in the tubs. I can also clean some of the stuff under the car, and rerun some of the wiring, and brake and fuel lines easier than I can do laying on my back in a dark garage. Just something to make it easier to work on. Honestly I was able to pick this up so inexpensive it was just something easy to pick up to make it easier for me to do what I need to do. Hopefully I can make a bunch of progress and get to a point where, when the budget allows, I pick up a part here or there, and I can right then move forward and it be progress to getting done. There are a few irons in the fire on side work so I am hoping as each one moves forward, and the cash not planned on, nor spoken for, I can then go in and use that cash to buy parts.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Today a new First for my Coupe! Today it wrinkled its first tire! OK so it was not because of power... it was just a fluke of tire pressure, and the rotation of the car but here it is.

Beyond that I had a little time today to look at the rotissarie and do some math, and start on a design. Here are the few things I want to design, or change.

1. I need to design a head that will hook to the car on each end.
2. I want to put it on wheels so I can roll it around once I get it up in the air
3. I decided that I want to put both ends on Hydralics. Idea being to be able to roll up to the car in the full down position. Bold the heads on, and then jack it to the correct height to be able to rotate the car fully. I want to be able to have some room when rotating, and I want to be able to possibly lift it a bit more, but be able to let it down some when working in any position... Idea lower center of gravity, the more stable.
4. Make a chain drive so I can rotate with a crank handle and lock in any position of rotation. (Have a great idea how to do this using a timing chain I have laying around.)

Plans are in the works, and when done, I will post up the plans, and will show the build... Once the car is up, and rotating, I want to get so I can get the rest of the body work done, and I want to be able to get in there and put in the rear tubs, and the rest of the interior tins, and allow for the fuel cell, rear electronics, battery location, and fuel pumps and all. Then plan on where the exhaust will run under the car. I want to clean up the trans mounting area, and do some work under the car with everything unbolted and out of the way. If I can do this by rotating the car, it will make all kinds of things easier to get to.

To do this I am going to want to do the rotissorie, and then I am going to want to do the following to the car.

1. Remove Hood.
2. Remove Targa Top.
3. Remove Rear Glass.
4. Remove Engine and Trans.
5. Remove Seats and any loose stuff inside the car.
6. Remove front bumper cover.
7. Bolt on heads and lift car so front tires clear.
8. Remove front tires.
9. Remove bolts holding in rear suspension and rearend and rear tires.
10. Raise car a little more and then check stability.
11. Raise car up so it can rotate fully.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Well that is all for now. I have made a few modifications, and there are a ton more to do. I have changed the idea of going from a twin turbo car, to a blower, and going with Enderle Fuel Injection rather than running the Gen VII. I have fuel system, electrical system, brake system, and the entire drive train to go, get the interior back in, finish the rear of the car as far as wheel tubs, and fiberglass work, get it ready, and painted, and on and on. No I have no idea when I will be done... just an ongoing project. Thought I would share what I am doing.
Back to top Go down
Shawn
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Great build thread its awesome that you tracked your progress so much, that thing is sick!

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Very cool looks like a ton of work has gone into this car.

1 of 41 white SS sedans ever produced!
Back to top Go down
FloorIt
Just Joined
Just Joined

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Awesome!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:23 pm

For those that have not heard, I have decided to keep this thing, and will be working to try to finish it. Yesterday I landed a major part for it. I got the Enderle Fuel Injection unit. I got the hat, I got the pump, regulator, pump drive, distrubution block, and all the lines. Sure feels good to find a major part, and get a deal on it too.

My son has also been really excited about this, and just loves opening the throttle plates.... Actually I am really looking forward to it to.

I just set it on the hood. I cannot wait till I have to cut the hood, just so the Blower can stick through, and this can sit on top!

And to give you an idea how big each of those holes in the hat is, that is a 2 liter bottle on top. I am guessing it will flow just a little more air into the Blower than the stock little Throttle Body does into the TPI.

Back to top Go down
Shawn
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Awesome! I'm glad you are able to keep it and do some more work on it. That's gonna look so good when you get the hood cut out for it!

Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:10 pm

I know it has been forever since I have done anything on this car.... Had some serious health issues, lost my job, and just have had a hard time getting back on my feet. Been reading all of everyone's post on other forums and I just had to get out there this weekend and get something done. I put some small plans together on things I want to accomplish that I think I can do without having to spend some money. Budget is too tight for me to do it otherwise at the moment.

First thing I am going to do is support the back of the body with a pair of nurf bars, with supports. Lets see how far I got today.

How it looked when I started:

Time to break out the Harbor Freight Special Tube Bender:

Bent the first bar, and put it up on the frame rail with a C-Clamp to see if I like it.

Bend the second bar to make it match the first bar where it counts:

After a bunch of cutting, and grinding to get it to fit, and then welding it in place:

Cut the second one, but have not ground it or welded it in:

This is what it will look like when welded in place:

First thing tomorrow I am going to get the bar ground, and then weld it in place. After that I am going to get the bar welded between them. From there I am going to create a rear sheet metal pan. Then get the rear mounts in place to bolt in the rear sheet metal pan on. Once I get that completed, I can then cut fit the tubs, and the interior sheet metal in, and get it buttoned up inside. Once I get that completed, I will pretty much be out of money to work on it for a while. I will either need to get a better job, or get a raise at the job I am at before I can put any more money into it. Just have to work harder I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   

Back to top Go down

Tachout's Build Thread
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4