UtahGMPerformance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Utah's forum for General Motors performance vehicles

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Cobalt stuff for sale
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:00 pm by littleasian90

» Tachout's Build Thread
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 11:10 pm by Tachout

» My request
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 4:05 am by Shawn

» Cobalt SS exhaust manifold stud needed
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 4:10 pm by littleasian90

» New member from bluffdale UT
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:08 pm by colodude18

» S14 Silvia SR20DET swap
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:24 pm by littleasian90

» MT ET Drag Tires $10.00 Each
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:32 pm by Tachout

» Business card design
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:48 am by Shawn

» Wide open wednesday at miller motorsports park 2012
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 5:34 pm by Shawn

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Tachout's Build Thread

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Well I got a delivery from the parts truck today. This would be a good weekend to staytuned and check as I make updates. I know there are still a couple of items on the way but here is a start of what came, as well as the fact that the axles are ready to go back in.

Just need 8 bolts and nuts to hold them in place. I will be replacing two of the nuts and bolts once I decide on rear brakes.
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1249
And look there was a package of lug nuts to protect the treads on the studs.
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1250
And Competition Engineering also sent me a small box of parts.
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1251
Without Springs
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1252
With Springs
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1253
And look at this interesting box. Wonder what that is?
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1254
Stay tuned as there are more surprises coming as the weekend progresses!
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Well I got the axles in, and the old speaker boxes out. On the Vette a speaker box in the rear compartment is made of fiberglass and is epoxied into the body and in the way of the tubs. I also did some more clean up in the area. I am going to go pull the passengerside door panel, and then make the doors close again, making sure to mark the door panel for where I need to trim from the inside, the panel so that is will close around that side bar. Going to work to get the doors closed and then do some garage cleaning today. Come look back later today. I have something that is on the truck, out for delivery to add to the vette that will be VERY Picture worthy. Then it is off to get some chicken to throw on the grill, and get a big area clean in the garage!
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Well the excitement of waiting on the truck is over. I have pics of everything except when the driver asked to sit in the car. And yes you know I let him. I think the smile on his face was bigger than mine! He asked what the rims looked like, and so I had to show him that too.

Here is the truck

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1255

And the driver in the truck

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1256

And the tires and wheels

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1257

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1259

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1258

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1260

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1261

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1262

Like I thought I am going to have to shorten the 4-Link bars, and am going to have to do some adjusting up underneath. Now atleast I can measure what I need to shorten and how much.

Still no guesses as to what was in the other box?
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Now lets just hope I can produce enough power to turn them over and move that thing down the track. And I wonder, since these are mostly for the streets (Although they are wrinkle wall tires) you think they will still let me run the street legals out at RMR?

We have a winner... those are the Chrome Moly Wheelie bars. I plan on welding them onto the axles (Well the brackets anyway) before I take it to Ralph to cert my cage. I want to ask him to check all the other welds too. Just for my piece of mind.

Well I bolted on a set of my old rims and tires (Thanks Curtis for letting me have them back for a little bit) and rolled it outside so I could clean the garage, and then roll it back in. While cleaning I decided to get the hood back on just temporarily so I could have even more room. Garage is not 100% but I can now get both doors open all the way and thus I can get in and finish with what I need to do before certification of the Chassis. As you can see by the pictures I need to shorten my 4 bars for the 4-link and measure to have the Z-bar shortened and treaded to length as well. Anyway this is what she looked like out in the sunshine today.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1263
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1264
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1265
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1266
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1267
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1268
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1269
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1271
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1272

That last shot really shows how much I need to shorten those 4-link bars. Hopefully I can get all the measurements and have it done really soon, and can finish all the welding inside, and get it certified. Then it will be time to put the entire interior back in including wheel tubs, and all the deadening and carpet and all. Sure am looking forward to getting down to the engine work.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Well went out on Sunday and took a few pics of the suspension, got the 4-link square to the frame and took a bunch of measurements. I need to raise up the back of the car and I can get an exact number I need to shorten the suspension up by. Thought I would share those pics. Today when I got home I decided to look at the wheelie bars and see what I needed to do there. Got a great idea of what I wanted to do. I am going to get those old shock brakets off the rear end, and then I am going to lay out a new braket that will combine the shock bracket along with the wheelie bar braket. Going to design it, lay it out in cad and have it waterjetted.

Well here are the pictures:
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1279

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1278

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1277

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1276

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1275

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1274

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1273

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1281

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1282

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1283
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Not a lot to show for today. I did a ton of measuring and math to decide exactly how much to shorten all the 4-link bars, and then double checked and triple checked it. Going to drop them off Monday night to have them shortened on a lathe, and then tapped 3/4-20 Left handed threads. (easier to pay for someone else to do it than to find the tap)

Beyond that I did some work on design of what I am going to do with the shock mounts, and the wheelie bar mounts, and tomorrow I think I will work on it some, as well as cleaning up the rear end, and getting it ready for a final assembly!

Another thing I did today was finally shortend the rear frame and welded in the rear crossmember. Still have to do a rear bumper to go under the rear bumper cover, and some other cleanup and it will be ready to put the rear bumper cover back on too.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1284

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1285

Well it is off to get the 4-Link bars shortened and eat dinner. Sure did not get much done this weekend. Just enjoyed the weather. I am going to have to get out there and bust my butt now. I want to try to have it ready for Chassis Cert and inspection by mid April

Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:57 pm

I picked up the shortened 4-Link bars from Ralph on Friday. This morning I spent the entire morning running errands and picking up some stuff we needed. Got back home around noon and went out to get them put in, and see how my math worked out. With a little coaxing I got them in, and got the wheels back on. I must have taken the wheels on and off a dozen times and got everything out of the way and ready. I still would feel much better with the back end up off the ground about 4 inches. Here are some pics of it in the driveway today with the wheels where they will run front to back. I am still going to raise the back end up about 4 inches or so.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1288

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1290

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1292

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1293

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1294

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1295

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1298

Well it is time to go get some Buns for the Hot Dogs for dinner, and plan out what is next for the Vette. I want to get in and do as much of the finish welding as I can and try to get it all welded by the end of the weekend. I may be some tired eyes, and if I do I will just work on it next weekend and finish it up. Should be able to get the cage certified soon, and then it will be time to put it all back together, and get the interior done.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Well I got a real late start today. Slept in, and then ran some errands and had lunch out.

First I installed a new top on my work bench, and then bolted down the bench vice. Once that was done, I taped the Z bar for the rear suspension. That was fun! Then I decided it was time to start working on the rest of the finish welding so I can get the Chassis certified. I decided while I welded on the joints, I would also do some gusseting. I took a ton of pictures but I am just going to post the ones that I think are neat.... If you want to look at them all, they are in an album either on facebook, or photobucket.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1305

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1306

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1307

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1311

I just love it when my Son wants to come out and help me. I have some springs on the way, and I need to do the wheelie bars on the back, and finish with the shocks, and if it is not too cold tomorrow I am going to work on that. Beyond that, I need to go in and make sure that all the mounts from frame to cage are done and tight. Beyond that I can get the cage certified, and start putting the interior back together, and all. Sure am looking forward to this part. Once completed, I am going to move onto the Engine, and Transmission, so it will start to progress!
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks to Ricer Dave for the great deal. He mademe a great deal on a used GOPRO Motorsports Hero HD Video camera for the Vette. I need to still get the Roll bar mount, but it is on the way. We should be able to get some great incar video with this.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1478

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1479
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Well I just had Ralph come inspect the Chassis. I am very happy with the results even though I failed the Inspection. I have had my concerns about how the front of the cage connected to the frame in my car and have had my concerns on how it was set up. In talking with Ralph he made a sugestion on how I can fix it, and it sounds like a great idea. He stated that I should take and add a piece of square tubing under the connection, and weld it to the frame. He told me how he would lay it out, and how to make it more sound. I am all over this idea, so this Saturday morning I am going to make a Lehi Metal Mart run, and Denny's for breakfast, then make a couple cuts on the floor pan so once the square tube is cut and sized, I can get in there and weld it all. He then stated that I should call him back and he will come check that, and we can do paperwork and I can get the all alusive decal I have been working on. Looks like it will be a weekend of Steam Cleaning carpets, and working on the Vette for me. Maybe by the picnic, I will have some of it back in the car, and on its way to going back together!

Well while I was at work, the FedEx guy was buy and after a 6 week wait, look what he dropped off.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1584

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1585

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1586

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1587

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1589

They are 17" rims to clear brakes in the front and 4 1/2" wide. I am going to run M&H Tires on the front of the Vette
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Well I did not get anything done on the Vette this weekend. Spend most of this great weather just relaxing. Been some time since I just took a whole weekend and just kicked back and relaxed. I did take some new pictures of the Vette for someone. Long story as to why. I will just share the pics for now until everything firms up.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1608

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1609

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1610

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1611

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1614

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1613

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1616

There will be a story about this next pic later. Just have to firm a few things up.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1612
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:11 pm

I finally got a chance to get out there for a bit today. Cut off the old Shock mounts, and then tacked in the new shock mounts and the Wheelie Bar Mounts. I will need to pull the entire diff out, and finish weld it all, and clean up the rearend housing. I will probably not do this until I am ready to do the brakes back there though. Later tonight, once it cools down some, I will go out and make the rear square again, and see what is next.

Here is what I started with. Since I aquired the rear end used, and it was a great deal and already narrowed and all I took what I found. The shock mounts are below the axle and I need mine above the axle, and need to add a wheelie bar mount on each side.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1815

I stared to grind the weld and then planned to get in there with the plasma cutter to get these out. In the end, I just let the plasma cutter do the work for me.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1816

This is what was welded in there.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1823

And here is what is going in its place

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1817

It actually cut out pretty clean.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1825

And this is what it looked like without any finish welding, or adjustments. Just put together so it could sit down, and I could make sure nothing was binding. Still have a ton of work to do back here, but we are started again.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1831

It was great weather to be out there. When it started to get hot, it felt good to quit, come in and relax for a few, and the run some more of the weekend errands. This week after work I want to try to get in there and do some of the finish work on the rear, and while it is out, I also want to get in there and prep everything for the Tub Install, and also some of the finish tin work. I am going to guess it will be delayed about half way through, as I am going to need to do some body work, and I want the frame done, and the drive train in the car long before I start doing any body work. I will get it as far as I can, and we will see if I need to do any. If I get out there tonight after dinner, and start doing some of the fast tape measurement adjustments I will post up some more pictures, with the rear bumper cover on, and try to also get it sitting next to the convertible for comparison. Might also pull out the wheelie bars, tack them up, and do some welding on thing. Who Knows, might even get the chance to shot some shots of it with Wheelie Bars on it this week.

And yes today there were a couple of other Vettes in the driveway again. Of Course as usual one was in pieces

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1828

And the other was the race version

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1829

I am sure you all know how it is... I went out to work on my car, and so my son wanted to work on his. We are going to convert the old white convertible into what will look very similar to my convertible.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Well tonight I pulled out the coupe after dinner and started doing some measureing and twisting and seeing about getting the rear set so I can push the car in and out fairly straight, and being able to see how the rear will sit when the car is done. Mind you the front will sit quite a bit lower with the weight of the motor, and I need to still do some body work on the rear wheel wells to make them fit. It is getting close. With it sitting next to the convertible it sure does have the stance I am looking for. I can just imagine it with some M&H Skinnies on those Centerline Rev wheels. A little more work back there and I will feel like I can leave it alone till I hit the scales and alignment rack for initial setup. If a picture is worth 1000 words and I am posting a ton of pics, these should speak for themselves.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1834

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1836

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1837

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1838

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1839

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1845

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1846

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1849

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1850

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN1851
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Wow has it been since August since I did a thing to the coupe. Well in the morning I am going to center the coupe in the garage, which means that the vert is going to be outside for a little while. I am going to pull the rear out, do the cutting, grinding, and welding to the rear end, and finalize the rear suspension. Then I am going to finalize the upper shock mounts, trim the original mounts off of the cross bar on the back half, and to the cross bars from the new shock mount. After that I am going to widen the wheel openings, and put in the wheel tubs. After that I plan on putting on the fuel cell, and start the work to do rear brakes, rear mount battery, and all the mounts and brackets for rest of what is going on back there. Then I am going to work on cleaning up some of the wiring. After I can get all the sheet metal done, I will be in there with sound deadening from RAAM Audio, and after that carpeting and finish up the interior. I still have a couple of things to do inside, and then after that it will be under the hood, and trans!. Who knows, maybe this this thing will be running before 2012! (UPDATE NOT A CHANCE)

I did actually drag my lazy butt out to the garage when we got back from Breakfast... (More like brunch). The kids got out there and hit the snow with shovels, I pulled the Vert out and put it in the driveway, then looked at and took the first shot of what I am going to work on.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2810

I cannot shift the rear axle much further forward due to the fact that it is going to swell during a burnout. I have decided to make it wider front to back, and then when the tubs are in it will have front to back clearance, and up and down clearance, and travel as well. It will be much taller than it is front to back.

I centered the coupe in the garage and poped the rear bumper cover off.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2811

I covered the open on the body only and decided on a distance I would need to cut it to.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2814
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2818
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2821

Originally I thougth 2 inches was max I could get and that would be way close...

I pulled the rear tires and layed it out again,

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2823
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2825

Looks more like 2 1/2" will be no problem. I am going to need a couple of warmer days so tha with the space heaters on, I can bring the temps up. I have a pretty good job ahead of me and sectioning the ABS Rear bumper cover, Plastic Welding it, then seaming it should be fun. I am going to back brace this with 1" X3/16 aluminum strips. I will then fill with approriate materials from the rear. Once completed, I am going to size the wheel tubs, and then start on the rear sheet metal. I am going to be pulling the rear diff, and rear suspension tonight, and will be working off and on in clean up, and welding, and all to finish this and get it ready for brakes, and final assembly. While out I am going to put in the rear drive shaft loop, and do a bunch of enclosing of the rest of the car in sheet metal, and also doing a fire wall between passenger compartment and fuel and battery areas.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Thank you for the encouragement. I will for sure keep updating as I go. I am actually looking forward to doing the tin work. I will feel like I am making progress, and once complete it will be done and out of the way. Have not touched the car in way to long, and now 2 updates in one day. This sure does feel good.

Pulled the rear suspension out of the car. I am going to grind all the welds, clean up the rear end, weld up the shock mounts, and wheelie bar mounts, and install the brakes, and brake lines. No I have not gotten the brakes yet, but hope to be able to start buying parts for this thing soon, and while I have it out, it will not go back in until it is done now.

While it is out, I am also going to do all the tin work in the back of the car, install the fuel cell (And the rest of the fuel system if possible all the way to the fire wall or so) and then the rear mount battery and its wiring as well. I am going to be building a fire wall to seperate the fuel and electrical areas from each other, and from the passenger area. Here are a few more pictures of it now that it is disassembled, and ready for me to start making the final marks and cutting the body, and doing exterior bodywork back there. After that, wheel tubs, and tin work for the rear. Seal all seams with RTV once welded in, and then RAAM Mat to sound deaden it, and then carpet the rear area.

Going to create a firewall here to clean up its appearance as well, when I put in the wheel tubs.
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2836
Going to clean up all the welds, and get a final coat of paint on the diff, and housings, and going to also paint the 4-Link Bars
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2837

Wow two updates in two weeks. I might be on to something here.

I was either going to do the body work on the rear to allow the rear tires to fit, or do the work in the rear end. After heading advice I decided to work on the welding. Idea was to seperate wheelie bar mounts from rear shock mounts. Also to clean up all the rear end, and get it painted and ready to go back in the car.

I only have one side of the mounts done so far, but hope to finish the other side later today. Here are a few pics.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2874-1
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2880
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2881
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2884
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2913
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2914
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2918
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2920

I will update tonight if I get more done.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:15 pm

The back said I should quit for the day. I hate having a bad back.

Got the other side of the diff done. Just need to flip it over and do a little more welding, then some clean up and it will be ready for paint. I am going to bolt it back in the car soon, so I can get the upper shock mounts located, and welded in with its new crossmember, and the new bars I want to add to the back. I know I do not need them, but I want them. I will detail out more of what bars are getting added to the rear when I get to that point. Depending on temperature, and what comes up during the week, I plan on trying to get out there again next week. Hopefully I can get the rear upper shock mounts and all put in, and then I will try to hit the center tin. I need to cut and relocate the body before I do the tubs, but once those two are in, I will hit the rest of the rear tin fairly fast. Still need to get a fuel cell to do all of the rear tins. Beyond that I am going to build a fuel pump area on one side of the car and the rear mount battery on the other.

Anyway here are today's pictures:
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2921
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2922
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2924
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2925
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2926
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2927

And for reference for the next step in the project.... Here is how the back of the rear frame, and the upper shock mounts are at the moment.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2929
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2928
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Got up this morning knowing I did not have much time this morning to work on the car, and wanted it to roll by tonight so I could put the convertible in the garage. Had breakfast, and then went out to work. I think I am getting way to used to pulling the rear out of the car, or putting it in. I got out there, fliped the rear over on the table, then welded the bottom of it, and put on a fast coat of paint to keep the rust away. I will have to pull it one last time when I go to put on the brakes, and pull the diff to check everything, seal it all up, and add fluid. I will do all the finish work then, like grinding some of the welds smooth, and then doing a final coat of paint. I am glad I now have the wheelie bar mounts spread out a little. I am going to work on them next and await warmer weather for the body work. In a couple of hours I am going to go look at some new horse power for the house, but we are just looking at the moment. Once we get back I want to go out, lay out the wheelie bars, and decide if I can get them done today or if my back says I wait till tomorrow. Other plans include putting the rear of the car back on, cutting the panels and taping them in place and starting on the wheel tubs and rest of the tin. Really need to find a fuel cell for it to start sizing around.

Here are a couple of update pics:

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2984
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2985
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN2986
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:16 pm

I finally found the lug nuts to bolt my front tires on my car. I had the rims for a long time, and this year out of my tax check I was able to get the tires mounted, and today I got them bolted on the car. At this rate I will retire before I get it all together. Oh well, housing market is starting to return so I can hope for things to get better pay wise again.

Here is how it turned out. Keep in mind with no engine in the car it will sit quite a bit lower in the front with that in, and the rear will also sit lower once the suspension is adjusted, and all put back together.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3220

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3212

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3216

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3217
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Decided that since I pulled the box out I would start to put the wheelie bars together. Keep in mind the rear of the car is sitting 3 or 4 inches high in the back so the wheels on the wheelie bars will be like 3" off the ground when it sits down where is should. Sure was exciting to see it sitting with them on the back. Next weekend I will try to get them all the way welded up, and then put in the upper shock mount and drop the car down where it will be close to where it will sit. And if this great weather holds up I will also get the wheel openings opened up and ready to start the body work, and putting in rear tins.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3585
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Was today a great day or what... Got today and tomorrow off work as I an on Vacation. Today for me was good and bad.... First the good. I got a chance to go out and work on the Vette this afternoon. The plan for the day was to get in there and fix the upper shock mounts in the rear, and from there if there was time left, to make sure I had my measurements right as I plan on putting the coupe under the knife again tomorrow. I am going to finally get the rear fiberglass work done, and maybe the rear bumper cover done too. Idea in getting them complete is I also want to make a rear firewall. Then I can bolt the rear bumper cover on, and then measure and cut the wheel tubs.

All was going as planned until I was under the car working on putting the upper shock bar up in the frame and Wam the jack let go, and the car dropped to the Jack Stands.... Bad thing is the distance from where the car was, down to the jack stands was a greater distance than the distance between the top of my head, and the frame rail. I have a small knot on top, but my neck is killing me. I feel like I am 1/2" shorter.

I did get the project completed, and now all I have left in the back is to weld in the x-bracing for the wheelie bars, and then later I will come back and weld in a parachute mount. Beyond that, some clean up back there and it is time to button up the rear of the car until I get all of the electrical and fuel system that will go back there. That will just have to wait till the funds get there, but I still have a ton of interior work to take care of. I also have to take my Engine, bolt the trans case to it, and drop it in the car so I can fabricate a transmission cross member and get it put in place. Then the fun stuff begins.

Anyway here are a couple of shots of me welding the cross bar in.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3593

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3604
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Today was another good day for the Coupe, and the Vert even got a gift from the Coupe. First the Vert... I stole the Bra off the front of the Coupe, and started putting it on the Vert. In the morning, once it drys I will add the Velcro. Looks pretty good with the top I think.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3619

Now for the Coupe.... Today it went under the knife again. Today I cut the rear panels and started the glass work. Here are a the progress pictures.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3608
This is a before Picture.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3613
Then I cut the part out, and removed the piece that was removed.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3614
I taped the panel in place and went to the other side of the car.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3617
Removed that part as well.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3618
Taped it into place.

From here I went under the car and scuffed it up really good. Then I started in on the Fiberglass resin and mat. In the panel removal pictures you will see a piece that is under the outer panel. I did remove that before I did any glass work. I plan on about 3 layers on the inside, (Depending on how it feels) and then will scuff the outside and to atleast a layer out there before sanding it smooth and adding Fiber Filler to smooth it out and get the shape back. The hole in the middle of the opening created from moving the panel back will be filled with mat rather than filler.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3621
Not a good angle, but here is what it looks like while it is drying. I will keep posting progress pictures as weather and temps allow.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Spent most of my morning running errands and then had a plumbing emergency (had to replace the P-Trap, and another pipe in the Main Bath). After that I had the chance late in the afternoon to go out and start doing some more body work. I have also decided I am not going to cut the rear bumper cover and try to reshape it. I am just going to move the entire rear bumper cover back and fill in the gap. Today I decided to do the exterior of the drivers side exterior of the panel. I am no body man by any stretch of the imagination but here is how I am doing so far.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3686
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3687
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3689
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3696
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3699
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3704

I did some small sanding and filled the seams first. Then worked on thin layers and lots of sanding in between till it felt fair. I have only done 220 so far. Have a lot to do but once I get it done I think the sides will be perfect. I am going to work on the other side weather permitting tomorrow, along with doing some on the Drivers side. Hopefully I can get it close this weekend, and then start working the rear. Still am going to need to get the drivers side filler piece, and make the rear firewall. Will get the back together sooner or later and then will be doing the wheel tubs. Progress is slow, and is something I do around work, and family. I know that 90% do not read this, and that is fine. I am going to be able to say I did it myself, and did it on a budget and will be proud of this POS when it is done. To the 10% that still do read this... I thank you.
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:20 pm

After the NASCAR race today I went out and pulled the coupe out of the garage. Once I get all the body work done, this is what the back of the car will look like. I am in essence moving the rear bumper cover back on the car 2-1/2 inches, and this is how it will look.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3710

I then put the car back in the garage, and started working on the passenger side.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3711
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3713
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3714
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3717

So far 3 coats of Long Strand Kitty Hair, and after sanding down each to get the contour I want, I have put a layer of Short Strand Kitty Hair. Once I get this all sanded, I will be close enough for me to primer and live with it until I take it to a real body man to clean up before I get it painted.

Got it put away with its sister!

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3715
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Weather today was a real disappointment. I had hopes of being able to work out there around the rest of the work I had to do, and had a specific plan on what I wanted done today.... Did not get there. Was too cold to do anything more than some sanding. I thing back years ago watching Tool Time and talking to his boys on the show about block sanding the Hot Rod. Today my son was outside playing and comes into the garage and asks me "What you doing daddy." I told him I had to sand down the body work I started and he asked me if he could help. I could not resist not only letting him help, but grabbing my camera and snapping a few shots. After I felt I had the coupe close to what I wanted it for the day, and knowing I did not have much longer I could work, I grabbed the rear bumper cover and bolted it on the car. Then I put one of my filler pieces in, although not sized, or molded (too cold for body filler so I did not fit it) on the back of the car to see how it looked. Took a few pictures and then put it away for the day.

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3738
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3737
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3736
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3735
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3740
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3741
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3742
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3744
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3747
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3749
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3750
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3754
Back to top Go down
Tachout
Noob
Noob
Tachout

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:21 pm

This weekend should be a fun one. Just hope for good weather. This weekends plans start as follows:

First lets pull out the motor from under its towel, and get it hanging for today's projects:

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3996-1
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3997-1
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN3999-1
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN4003
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN4004
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN4007
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN4008
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN4009
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN4010

Now that the heart is in the beast here is why I droped it in....

Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN4013
Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 DSCN4014

Corvette C4's do not have a cross member, and have a fiberglass floor. I have to make a crossmember to support the rear of the transmission. Should be interesting. More to follow!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tachout's Build Thread   Tachout's Build Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tachout's Build Thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next